Monday 11 July 2011

Quinoa Crunch With Cod Loin and Broccoli


1 Cod loin (it was frozen)
1 cup of water (1 cup = 6 fluid oz)
1 heaped tablespoon of porridge oats
100grams of broccoli florets (about ¾" dice)
½ teaspoon of bouillon powder
1 dessertspoon of chopped parsley


 Today's Quinoa Crunch With Cod Loin and Broccoli was a success. 

It's just a variation of  another of my blog postings.  Quinoa Crunch With Broccoli and Tuna in Coarse Tomato Sauce, but this time I'm using white fish and instead of tomato puree, I'm using bouillon powder and fresh parsley. 

I'm continuing with the quick, thickener ideas.  Instead of messing about with different types of roux and adding stock to make bĂ©chamel and veloutĂ© sauces, I'm just using porridge oats as a thickener. 

What a cheat - but I'm a Scotsman, so what I do with my porridge is my own business, (no suggestions invited, thanks). If I were an Irishman, I'd have to make everything with potatoes - even the sushi.

Anyway, this is quick, thick and tasty. 

I microwaved the following ingredients in an ovenproof dish for 10 minutes in DEFROST MODE then another 5 minutes on full:

1 Cod loin (it was frozen)
1 cup of water (1 cup = 6 fluid oz)
1 heaped tablespoon of porridge oats

I let it cool, and then I stirred in the following ingredients:

100grams of broccoli florets (about ¾" dice)
½ teaspoon of bouillon powder
1 dessertspoon of chopped parsley

That’s the filling; now the crunchy topping ingredients:

½ a cup of dry quinoa
1 cups of water

I put these two ingredients into a saucepan and brought it to the boil, and then immediately turned the heat down as low as possible to simmer for 10-15 minutes.  The quinoa absorbs all the water.  I took it off the heat.

I added to the cooked quinoa:

½ teaspoon of Fajita seasoning
¼ teaspoon of ground turmeric (for colour)
1 knob of coconut oil

I coated the quinoa in the seasoning and oil and sprinkled it over the filling. 

I gave the dish 15 minutes in the microwave and then lightly browned the topping under the grill to make it crunchy.



The Best Possible Way to Store Fresh Green Vegetables
Fish Kedgeree Made With Quinoa and Sprouted Mung Beans
Quinoa - Health Benefits and Cooking Tips
Quick and Easy Ways to Get Your Five a Day

No comments:

Post a Comment